Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lake Hudson SRA: Hike Reports

I originally posted these hike reports on the Great Lakes Hikes Yahoo Group:

01/19/01

Lenawee County: Lake Hudson State Rec. Area.

There are no trails, but just wild and hilly land along a lake. I bet it would be about a 10 or 12 mile hike around.

01/28/01

Lenawee: Lake Hudson SRA:

Take M-34 West from Adrian. Turn South on Morey Hwy. The park will be on the right.

05/02/02

Tonight I headed out to Lake Hudson SRA in Lenawee County. This has to be one of the least used parks in the whole state system. My understanding is that the park only gets about 90,000 visitors per year. That's about 270 per day for 3,000 acres. And I'll bet most of that comes from deer hunting and muskie fishing. Anyway, this place is desolate. It's a bunch of old farm fields with lots of hills, streams and woodlots. In the middle is a big, undeveloped lake.

There aren't really any trails in the place, but there are some hunting two tracks. I followed one out 2 or 3 miles and skirted a bunch of wooded areas. This might be a really fun place to just get lost in. The best thing is that this place is absolutely in the middle of nowhere. I drove a really nice paved road out and didn't seen any cars driving by for 15 minutes. All I heard the whole hike was the wind whipping across the plain.

No comments: