Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sleepy Hollow State Park: Hike Reports

05/26/03

Hello again!

My second hike today was in the Sleepy Hollow SP north of Lansing. I've never been here before, so I decided to go whole hog and loop the lake. It ended up being 9 or 10 miles and was way cool. There is a surprising amount of terrain in the southern portions of the park and you get some nice views of marsh and lake. The eastern side trails between the campgrounds and lake are not really nice, but I was ready to get back to my car. I saw three mountain bikers, two hikers and several fishermen on my hike. Some of the intersection markings are not good. That said, it is hard to get lost. In fact the West Side trails are in a narrow section of public land between road and lake. It's proof that a nice trail can exist on a small corridor of land.

The highlight of the day was a small log crossing over a branch of the Maple River on the NW corner of Lake Ovid. A mountain biker who I stopped to compare notes with checked out the trail ahead on his bike and came back to tell me about the lack of bridge. I responded by saying, "Great. Now I have something to look forward to." With the help of a branch, I was able to schlepp across without much trouble.

07/19/04

Also, regular state parks can be "backpacked" using existing developed campgrounds. Sleepy Hollow State Park would be a good example of this possibility. It might not be wilderness, but that's not why people live in Lansing anyway.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.aspx?id=495

No comments: