Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cuyahoga National Park: Hike Reports

I originally posted this hike report on the Great Lakes Hikes Yahoo Group:

Cuyahoga Valley NP

04/06/02

Hey, anyone else know that they've changed the designation of the the CVNRA to actual national park status? I spent a day out there yesterday. It has the closest waterfalls to SE Michigan and has some pretty steep hiking. Much stronger terrain than the Waterloo-Pinckney. Driving distance from my house west of Adrian was 2.5 hours to trailheads. The drive back to my dad's house in Monroe was just under 2 hours. The park has 35 miles of the Buckeye Trail. The plan is to eventually create a 125 mile trail system on the 35,000 acres. It is in an urbanized area, so you aren't that far from people, but the hiking seems real good. No camping in the park. I think you could overnight in the AYH youth hostel, though and take the train back to the original trailhead. Might make for a nice, fun weekend.

No comments: