Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Somerset State Game Area Hike Reports

These are some hike reports that I originally posted on the Great Lakes Hikes Yahoo Group:

01/19/01

Honorable mention: Somerset SGA - a nice 2 to 3 mile loop around a lake with an island in the middle. That would make a great camping spot in the fall.

01/23/02

Just thought I'd post about this nice little place in HillsdaleCounty...

Yesterday was a glorious sunny day near 50. So, after sending my students on their merry way, I headed off for some hiking. I started at the small parking area (US-12 west from US-127 to Stearns Rd., right turn, lot 3 miles down on right - S of Jackson), then dropped down a big hill. I looped a rather large marshy lake with ghost trees along its edges. The great thing is that lots of the hills were once farmland, so they had a mountain bald feel to them. If ound one spot that would make a really nice campsite that had views of the whole area.

There was also an isolated peninsula that looked out on a second large lake. This would also be great for camping - no one would ever find you. Then I doubled back for a loop along the largest lake -Lombard. It has a nice island in the center and lots of the shore is pine-forested. The whole place reminded me of Wakely Lakes Foot Travel Area, although at about 1,000 acres it is a good deal smaller. Still, it is in the middle of nowhere, so car sounds are pretty rare even on the roads. And I bet the stars would be incredible.

Oh, yeah, details. I'm thinking you could put a 7 or 8 mile loop together. Dispersed camping is legal from Sept. 10 until May 15.

No comments: