Sunday, January 21, 2007

Hillary?


I love politics.


And I find the candidacy of Hillary Clinton to be very interesting.


Her position on the War in Iraq is hawkish. She voted to give President Bush authority. And she is in favor of capping troop levels. She is NOT in favor, currently, of withdrawal.


Most of the Democratic Party candidates are under enormous pressure to go "anti-war." And most others, like John Edwards, are moving in that direction.


On the Republican side, there is almost a jailbreak quality to Republican war opposition. Senators like Chuck Hagel are becoming strongly anti-war.


So, it seems to me that almost all of the Democratic candidates and most of the Republicans will be forced into a position advocating an end to the war.


I think that it is at least possible that Hillary Clinton might be the only candidate in the field who could keep the United States in Iraq. She has enough liberal "street cred" to possibly withstand the strong anti-war sentiment in her party. And, as the first legitimate female presidential candidate, she could probably pull the strongly anti-war female electorate with her come general election time.


Before you start throwing invective my way, I want you to know that I am not a Hillary supporter. I don't have a horse in this race yet. But I think that Hillary's positioning is VERY IMPORTANT in terms of our national foreign policy. She could be the "last man standing" for the current Iraq policy.

No comments: