Thursday, January 18, 2007

Birders Rule!


One of my funniest nature moments happened on an Audubon Society bird hike. I was an undergrad. student at the time and I linked up with some Ann Arbor birders. The plan was to hike around the dikes at Pointe Mouillee State Game Area.


Well, it turns out that I was hiking with the 4th and 6th best birders in the state. Don't quote me on the rankings. How do they know? Well, birders keep lists. Lots and lots of lists. They are the most organized people I have ever seen.


As we hiked a little farther down the path, a hush suddenly came upon our little group. It turns out that the #1 birder in the state was on a nearby dike. It was as if the Pope was walking by.


The great thing about the birders, however, is that they share their lists with all of us. If you want to know good places to hike or experience nature, there is almost nothing better than finding a local birding website, group or bulletin board.


Want proof? I have attached a list that the birding community has made of natural areas in the region. They get almost everything. Use this list the next time you want someplace new to explore.


No comments: