Saturday, October 20, 2007

Curtiss/Mill Pond Parks: Saline, MI: Hike Reports

05/11/03

On my way back from used book shopping, I decided to check out a park in Saline to see if it could be incorporated into a nice urban hike. I shot north on Mill Rd. from US-12 to the parking area for Mill Pond Park. Near the parking lot is a small bridge to nowhere -a small island - and some impressive rapids/small waterfalls.

The park is floodplain along the Saline River and an impoundment created by one of Henry Ford's village industry complexes. On both sides of the shore, the Saline River has cut steep banks on which sit very nice houses. I'd guess I walked a bit less than a mile to get to US-12 on marshy mowed grass.

From there, I crossed to Curtiss Park and shot through a nicely landscaped park along the river to the backside. At the back side of the park is a natural area with very muddy and wide paths. I've seen some small waterfalls on the opposite bank of the river here in winter. Then, I retraced mysteps.

There is nothing really to recommend this walk to anyone except those of us in the neighborhood looking for a walk. This route can be lengthened by shooting up a bank through a cemetary and sidewalks to another park called Wilderness Park with its own 2 mile trail system.

I'm also checking to see if Risdon Park can take out some of the sidewalk portions. Risdon is on the site of the estate of the founder of Saline who reached this location by boat from Lake Erie.
I saw nesting swans, ducks, bad-attitude geese, a Henry Ford mill and a nice dam on this walk. Routes in the 5+ mile range can be had here.

No comments: