Sunday, April 29, 2007

Lincoln Brick Park: Notes

Lincoln Brick Park
5/3/03

I headed out tonight for more hiking in Grand Ledge. This time I did the loops at Lincoln Brick Park. The terrain is great. Basically, the park has parallel trails along the river - one on top of the ledges, one along the river. Both are nice. Those sandstone outcroppings in that old quarry are very nice.

On the south (or east) side of the park, I took the TallmanTrail to its end in someone's yard. It looked as if the trail continued through the yard to Tallman Rd. And, in fact, it does. I didn't want to hike through until verifying legality. I asked a few people on the way back to my car and they said that the family lets people hike through.

I still want to confirm with the city, but this allows access to the Grand Ledge city sidewalk system. A hiker can take this one mile into Grand Ledge and cross the Grand River onRiver St. A short hike takes the hiker to Island Park and eastern terminus of the Ledges Trail - the end of my 4 to 5 mile hike reported earlier.

There does appear to be another river park on the sidewalk section. I saw climbers there last night. It seems possible, at least, that there might be a path along the riverbank down there from the neighborhoods on the cliff. It also seems like this hike might be extended by using sidewalks farther east past the River St. bridge.

No comments: